Skip to main content

Halloweeeeeeeeen!

I am so excited for Halloween this year!

No, not for the costume parties, the amazing selection of candy at the store, yummy halloween-time food, or even the spooky movies running on tv.

I am excited for the trick-or-treaters!

This should be the first year that we actually get a steady flow of trick-or-treaters. In the past, the hubby and I have lived in apartment neighborhoods. I had initially though that we would have a flood of doorbell ringers, since there was such a high-density of doors to go to with little walking or driving required. 

But no such luck! I suppose it could be because apartments house families that are not all 9-5 type people, and a lot probably didn't participate or weren't even home. In fact, they were probably all out partying.

Anywho, now that we live on a military base, there are multiple children in each household. And the decorations are INSANE! Porches completely covered in spider web, giant pumpkins, a few inflatables, graveyards and ghosties, and right now it is just perfect with the trees in the midst of the color change and crunchy leaves all over the ground.

I wanted my yard to look awesome, too, but I didn't really want to spend the money on it. So I decided to just decorate pumpkins and decorate my door with leftover spiderweb purchased last year to decorate my classroom. (tear. miss my school.)

My pumpkins last year were great - until the darn neigborhood squirrels decided it was a buffet put out just for them.


Caught in the act!!


So sad. :(


I enjoy carving pumpkins, but I didn't feel like getting messy. So instead, I just picked up some craft paint, black glitter, and clear Elmer's glue. I know that I paid WAY too much for the glue, but making another stop at Walmart didn't seem worth it for a bottle of glue. I did, however, get my pumpkins at Walmart a few days earlier. For $1.88 each! A steal, for sure!




For the first pumpkin, I wanted to do the chevron stripe. So I used blue tape and made 3 zig zag strips around my pumpkin. Not perfect by any means. I then painted over it with my white paint, using vertical paint strokes. I started working on another pumpkin while the paint dried.
 I was so excited to see how it turned out! I started to carefully peel the tape off. And...it was a disappointment. The paint had seeped under the tape in many spots, and the paint was peeling off the pumpkin! I specifically chose outdoor paint seeing as how the pumpkins would (hopefully) be outside for a number of weeks. Bad idea.
 I do love that little stem on the pumpkin, though! Hard to find those if you don't buy from a pumpkin patch! I had leftover ribbon from last year, so in an attempt to make it look a little better, I tied a few around the stem.
 There. I guess that's not so bad.

My next pumpkin was a pot-bellied one! Huge and had deep ridges down the sides. As I stared at it to figure out what to do, I thought about using gravity to help me. I used black paint and squeezed it into each of the grooves and let it drip down.
Well, the paint didn't drip very far. Good thing I had the clear glue.





I went back over each paint drip and slowly squeezed some glue on top of it. It turned out pretty cool!
 I finished the pumpkin up by completely painting the top of the pumpkin black, including the stump of a stem. And then, before the paint dried, I shook glitter all over it. Ta dah!


Kind of ridiculous. Onto my last pumpkin! I was out of creative Halloween ideas, so using leftover red and blue paint and sequins, I came up with this!
Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
 Surprised?!
 And here they are. The only wildlife I see around here is an occasional beaver. So squirrels shouldn't mutilate my pumpkins this year!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy-Peasy Pumpkin Decorating

I sure haven't gotten around to doing much decorating for the Fall. I'm feeling sort of "Bah-humbug" about Halloween this year. I did buy some pumpkins.  And then I put them outside the garage door.  And that is about all the effort I have put forth so far.  Last year I was inspired to do some creative chevron painting on my pumpkins and use decorative ribbons. For whatever reason, this year I've been so lazy and wanted something with less effort required.  Is that bad of me?! I got my act together today and put some spider web on my now dead bushes in the front of the house (yeah I managed to kill those - I did not consider how much the dirt would settle and the top two inches of the roots became exposed. Lesson learned!). I also put some up on the brick wall by the garage. That stuff sticks perfectly to the texture of the brick!  Then I put my pumpkins by the door. I had a few pairs of black textured tights, so I put one leg of

The Tears Won't Stop

I can't sleep, guys. Valentine's Day is coming up soon. And tonight, the tears started, and they just wouldn't stop. 2008 was truly an unbearable year. A lot of you know my story and the connection here, but many of you don't. I don't think that I've shared about the whole year, all together. I've been told by a few very supportive friends that my story could basically be a Nicholas Sparks movie; I think the ending is still being written. So, I'll do my best to get it all in writing, in one place. To start off, you'll need a little background information. It's mid-2007, and I am about to head off for my senior year of college, and my boyfriend (now husband) was about to embark on his first tour of duty overseas as a Military Police Reservist. My mom was 1 year into her cancer diagnosis, and was experiencing back pain, which she attributed to working in the yard so much that summer. After the New Year, Chris was about halfway t

That's My Story and I'm Sticking To It

Pinterest is amazing . Have you heard of it? I hope so, because if not, you are truly missing out. It has almost become the new "Google" for some (me). I am more likely to hop on Pinterest to search for a yummy recipe than search on Google. I would like to point out, however, that Google has a recipe tab that you can click on, and then on the left side of the screen you can checkmark the boxes to indicate if you want that ingredient to be present in your recipe. Kinda handy if you are looking for a recipe and you can only remember a few ingredients in it. Anyway, browsing Pinterest has led me to great ideas, recipes, products, and left me drooling over dream homes and a wardrobe to die for. But recently, as Pinterest has become more popular, I have noticed some really dumb links. I am not typically one to point out stuff like this, but some of these things just crack me up! I'm not sure I get this. This image is suggesting that this is an acceptable way to re-sea