Skip to main content

How to Organize A Closet: Renter's Edition

I am no stranger to struggles with organization of my clothes. Once hitting college, it has been 8 years of different residences from college dorm rooms to itty bitty college apartments, to moving to 3 different rental properties after being married, and now, in military housing.

Common factor shared by all the places I live? None have been a permanent residence that I can modify however I want.

I see endless ideas for decorating and organizing for homeowners like wall painting ideas and installing or anchoring furniture or shelving to the wall. For the majority of us renters, these ideas are not options for us. That's my biggest complaint is that there are not enough ideas for those of us who do not own the property we live on! We are allowed to make these modifications, but then we either pay the penalty upon move out for "damages" or have to repaint the walls back to their original color. No thanks!

I am getting the hang of organizing all of my wardrobe items into any closet I have. I never know exactly what the closet will be like, if there will be any shelving, or if I will have to share it with my husband!

I use fabric covered bins, stacking shoe racks, and the plastic drawer system. These things are not ultra durable nor very attractive looking, (well, the fabric bins are actually pretty good) but it gets the job done and they are guaranteed to fit any closet due to the customization they offer. Unlike "assembly required" closet storage solutions or built-ins, you can modify them to FIT ANY SPACE. Plus, if you decide you need more, just go back to the store and pick some up. No biggie.

Here is my closet:

(Ok, so I'm writing this post from my phone, and I haven't used this feature before, so I'm not really sure where photo will show up. I might have to modify this post the next time I'm on my computer. Bear with me, please! We are in the process of wiping it clean and reinstalling everything).

Let me explain the areas of my closet.
1. STORAGE CONTAINERS.

Starting from the bottom left of my closet, I have a drawer that I have mostly used for boot storage. This has fit about 5 pairs of calf-height boots in them. THEY DO NOT LAY FLAT. If you prefer to have your boots unfolded while in storage, do not expect this to work for you.
Next I have a drawer tower, as I will call it. Currently it has 4 drawers; the last place we lived I had it 6 high because I had a walk-in closet with a little open wall space where this fit perfectly. Try to keep an open mind for how many drawers will FIT, as opposed to how many drawers you WANT to fit. There is a difference. :) This time, I generously gave my husband 2 drawers for the bottom of his closet. I will say that while having 6 drawers in my tower was great, it put a lot of stress on the bottom drawers. Since they are made of plastic, THEY WILL CRACK IF OVERLOADED. It is important to keep heavy clothes in the bottom drawers (jeans) and light items at the top (swimming suits, scarves). I just switched out my summer clothes for my winter clothes, so right now my drawers have casual work pants, long sleeve shirts, and sweaters in them.

On the bottom right I have my shoes. THIS IS NOT ALL OF THEM. You are probably thinking "there's no way all my shoes would fit there!". Do not fear - under the bed storage containers are your best friend. That's where the other half of my shoes are and my summer wardrobe! Because my clothes hang down so low, I put one shoe rack up on top for flats that I wear often.

So, up to the top shelf - I stack my jeans and pants into two piles on the left. I used to keep them in drawers. I finally came to my senses and use that space for tshirts and workout clothes. The jeans are much easier to get to up here!

Then I have a few buckets. These are great catch-alls for whatever you want. I use mine for scarves and winter accessories, one for belts, the big one has bras, and the 2 stacked ones are empty. The great thing about these bins is the ease of taking them down, rummaging through it, and then shoving it back into your closet. And it's STILL organized!

I also have a hanging jewelry organizer that is handy for seeing (almost) all your jewelry at once.


2. THE CLOTHES ON THE DOWEL.

I organize my clothes based on how much hanging space there is down below. I keep my long dresses against the wall on the left, followed by the rest of my dresses. You will need short hanging clothes to go above the plastic drawers, so my dress pants go here. I am sort of obsessed with cardigans, so I decided to put all of them together along with other layering pieces to wear on top of other tops. Then on the right is all the rest of my tops that I keep on hangers. No rhyme or reason to this area. Then on the far right is where I keep the jewelry and my hanging travel toiletries organizer.

It's taken me several years to figure out how to make this constant moving and relocating business work. I may not know how to organize the rest of my house to fit this lifestyle yet, but at least my closet is under control!

Hope this helps any renters and frequent movers (and homeowners) out there!

EDIT: Please know that I also use a dresser for tank tops, lounge pants, tshirts, and workout clothes. I just don't want anyone to be discouraged if they can't fit all their clothes in their closet - because I can't, either!

Comments

  1. A closet won't gather clutter if a closet system is place against the wall. Teens use these systems because the shelves have compartments for their shoes.
    http://mooredesignstore.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Easy-Peasy Pumpkin Decorating

I sure haven't gotten around to doing much decorating for the Fall. I'm feeling sort of "Bah-humbug" about Halloween this year. I did buy some pumpkins.  And then I put them outside the garage door.  And that is about all the effort I have put forth so far.  Last year I was inspired to do some creative chevron painting on my pumpkins and use decorative ribbons. For whatever reason, this year I've been so lazy and wanted something with less effort required.  Is that bad of me?! I got my act together today and put some spider web on my now dead bushes in the front of the house (yeah I managed to kill those - I did not consider how much the dirt would settle and the top two inches of the roots became exposed. Lesson learned!). I also put some up on the brick wall by the garage. That stuff sticks perfectly to the texture of the brick!  Then I put my pumpkins by the door. I had a few pairs of black textured tights, so I put one leg of

The Tears Won't Stop

I can't sleep, guys. Valentine's Day is coming up soon. And tonight, the tears started, and they just wouldn't stop. 2008 was truly an unbearable year. A lot of you know my story and the connection here, but many of you don't. I don't think that I've shared about the whole year, all together. I've been told by a few very supportive friends that my story could basically be a Nicholas Sparks movie; I think the ending is still being written. So, I'll do my best to get it all in writing, in one place. To start off, you'll need a little background information. It's mid-2007, and I am about to head off for my senior year of college, and my boyfriend (now husband) was about to embark on his first tour of duty overseas as a Military Police Reservist. My mom was 1 year into her cancer diagnosis, and was experiencing back pain, which she attributed to working in the yard so much that summer. After the New Year, Chris was about halfway t

That's My Story and I'm Sticking To It

Pinterest is amazing . Have you heard of it? I hope so, because if not, you are truly missing out. It has almost become the new "Google" for some (me). I am more likely to hop on Pinterest to search for a yummy recipe than search on Google. I would like to point out, however, that Google has a recipe tab that you can click on, and then on the left side of the screen you can checkmark the boxes to indicate if you want that ingredient to be present in your recipe. Kinda handy if you are looking for a recipe and you can only remember a few ingredients in it. Anyway, browsing Pinterest has led me to great ideas, recipes, products, and left me drooling over dream homes and a wardrobe to die for. But recently, as Pinterest has become more popular, I have noticed some really dumb links. I am not typically one to point out stuff like this, but some of these things just crack me up! I'm not sure I get this. This image is suggesting that this is an acceptable way to re-sea