Skip to main content

365 Days

On this day, one year ago, Chris and I awoke on a bed sheet on the floor of our dining room in Lenexa, Kansas. All of our belongings were packed in the moving truck parked out in front, save for perishables, cleaning supplies, and our bags of items we needed for the day. It was moving day!

It so wild to think that we've already been here for a year. I still catch myself telling customers that I "just" moved here, when in reality, that's not really true anymore! 



I've learned a lot since moving to Ft. Campbell. This whole living on the state border makes EVERYTHING confusing. 

Address is Ft. Campbell, KY. 

But we physically live in Tennessee. 

Cable bill says we live in Clarksville, TN. 

Order from a few random websites that try to tell me I live in Ft. Campbell, Tennessee.

And now my car is tagged in Montgomery County, Tennessee.

But Ft. Campbell is in Christian County, Kentucky.

I don't know.

I become extremely excited whenever I see anything Kansas. Kansas car tags are incredibly rare - I happened to see one the very first day from Johnson County. Believe it or not, I see more Alaska plates than I do Kansas ones. Besides Tennessee and Kentucky plates, I see a lot of New York plates, Georgia plates, and even Hawaii plates. Whenever I'm driving and I see a car with a Kansas plate, I try to see if I recognize anyone in the car. Yah, like it will really be anyone I know!

The Wizard of Oz jokes have been used in my presence a few times. They are a bit funnier when you are the one displaced in a different state. I once was stopped for a random vehicle inspection at the gate, and the guard looked at my license and car tag and said, "Kansas, huh?!" As I got out of the car, he saw my shoes (of COURSE they were red heels) and said "Oh, you've got on your ruby red slippers!" He looked like it was the best thing that happened to him all day. It was sorta cold that night, so he let me sit inside, and when he let me in, he said to the others "Hey - we got Dorothy here!" They all had a good time with it.

I've seen a few Jayhawks around town, too. I once talked to a lady who walked into the store for about 15 minutes simply because she was wearing a Jayhawk shirt. We talked about Lawrence, how different people are in Clarksville, and how much we wanted to go to a KU basketball game. She said I was the nicest person (stranger) she'd talked to in a long time.

Made my day!

I have to say, making my switch from Preschool Assistant Director in Kansas to Retail Assistant Manager once moving here was a BIG (an unexpected) leap for me. But I am loving every minute of it! I am blessed with a WONDERFUL team, a flexible schedule, and of course, that employee discount! The ladies I work with have become my first friends since moving here.


It is still a struggle to meet people here. Let me tell you, I think EVERY SINGLE FAMILY in our little part of the neighborhood has moved away already since we arrived, except for about 3. Moving semis and trucks are a constant. I am happy to have connected with a recent arrival next door; her husband arrives shortly from his deployment! I foresee many cookouts and fun times together!

Our one good friend who graciously took us in when we arrived last year 10 days before our house was ready is getting out of the Army and will be returning to the Kansas City area very soon. It will be so sad to see her go!

It's interesting to see how my viewpoints of everything, of life, and of the future have changed in this past year. It's been one of the biggest changes in my life to have our first PCS. 

And it was not nearly as traumatic as I was making it out to be in my head.

Yes, it was hard. Hard to leave my childhood town and all my friends and family behind. 
 
It was hard to not have a place to live.
 
It was hard to not know how to get around town.
 
It was really hard for me to not know where anything was on post. I constantly felt like people could tell I was the new girl, like I was wearing a red "N" on my shirt. I was corrected by a lady at the gas station on post for not standing in line for the register correctly. I was mortified. I had to ask for help everywhere I went. I didn't leave our house on post for the first few days that Chris was at work. It was just such an unfamiliar community to me.

Now, I've got it down pat. Almost. There are still times I don't know what I'm doing, but now I know that I'm not the only one who has no idea - it's not an uncommon feeling to have on post.

Chris and I often talk of where we hope we will be stationed next. Yes, we are already dreaming of our next move! Call me crazy, but I'm very excited for it. Moving out of state was not as emotional as I thought it would be. There was a lot going on when we first arrived here. I think I only cried once when we arrived because on top of everything involved with settling in, I was tired of having to call maintenance to fix something random (4 electrical outlets not working, leaky pipes under the sink - twice). I guess that was the straw that broke the camel's back!

We hope to go to Germany, Hawaii, Fort Carson (Colorado), and hopefully down the line back in Kansas at Ft. Leavenworth or Riley. And maybe Alaska.

Maybe.

The "adventurousness" has definitely come out in me rather quickly!

We are incredibly hopeful for these next 365 days. Life is never constant in the Army, so I'm anxious to see what happens next!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy-Peasy Pumpkin Decorating

I sure haven't gotten around to doing much decorating for the Fall. I'm feeling sort of "Bah-humbug" about Halloween this year. I did buy some pumpkins.  And then I put them outside the garage door.  And that is about all the effort I have put forth so far.  Last year I was inspired to do some creative chevron painting on my pumpkins and use decorative ribbons. For whatever reason, this year I've been so lazy and wanted something with less effort required.  Is that bad of me?! I got my act together today and put some spider web on my now dead bushes in the front of the house (yeah I managed to kill those - I did not consider how much the dirt would settle and the top two inches of the roots became exposed. Lesson learned!). I also put some up on the brick wall by the garage. That stuff sticks perfectly to the texture of the brick!  Then I put my pumpkins by the door. I had a few pairs of black textured tights, so I put one leg of

The Tears Won't Stop

I can't sleep, guys. Valentine's Day is coming up soon. And tonight, the tears started, and they just wouldn't stop. 2008 was truly an unbearable year. A lot of you know my story and the connection here, but many of you don't. I don't think that I've shared about the whole year, all together. I've been told by a few very supportive friends that my story could basically be a Nicholas Sparks movie; I think the ending is still being written. So, I'll do my best to get it all in writing, in one place. To start off, you'll need a little background information. It's mid-2007, and I am about to head off for my senior year of college, and my boyfriend (now husband) was about to embark on his first tour of duty overseas as a Military Police Reservist. My mom was 1 year into her cancer diagnosis, and was experiencing back pain, which she attributed to working in the yard so much that summer. After the New Year, Chris was about halfway t

That's My Story and I'm Sticking To It

Pinterest is amazing . Have you heard of it? I hope so, because if not, you are truly missing out. It has almost become the new "Google" for some (me). I am more likely to hop on Pinterest to search for a yummy recipe than search on Google. I would like to point out, however, that Google has a recipe tab that you can click on, and then on the left side of the screen you can checkmark the boxes to indicate if you want that ingredient to be present in your recipe. Kinda handy if you are looking for a recipe and you can only remember a few ingredients in it. Anyway, browsing Pinterest has led me to great ideas, recipes, products, and left me drooling over dream homes and a wardrobe to die for. But recently, as Pinterest has become more popular, I have noticed some really dumb links. I am not typically one to point out stuff like this, but some of these things just crack me up! I'm not sure I get this. This image is suggesting that this is an acceptable way to re-sea