Skip to main content

Freezer Breakfasts!

Recently I have discovered how much I love breakfast. I have a bit more time in the mornings now I'm not waking up so early. In high school and college, I never really had much of an appetite before the sun came up. I really enjoy my days when I can have a slow start to my morning and cook up some eggs or french toast and savor a cup of coffee.

The mornings I do have to get to work, I find I am so disappointed that I have to grab a quick bowl of cereal, a granola bar, or worse...nothing at all.

The husband OBVIOUSLY needs a strong breakfast - he has morning PT and a full day of work (in a building with no A/C, mind you), so I realized I needed to find a solution to these early/busy mornings. Sacrificing, or having a sub-par breakfast, is just no longer an option for me.

After dragging my feet for a week or two, I finally buckled down and prepped my freezer breakfasts!

English Muffin Breakfast Sandwiches

Cook your bacon

IN THE OVEN,

ON A BROILER PAN.

I will never cook bacon any other way again.



Crack an egg into a spouted cup, and gently break up the yolk. Try to keep the thick albumin intact.

The what?

Basically the egg white has two parts, the thin and thick part.

Just google "image of a chicken egg diagram" and you will see.

Keeping the thick albumin intact will keep your egg from running all over your pan while you fry it up.

Pour the egg into your buttered pan.
 

My oven is not level, so my egg ran to the side of my pan. I was hoping to cook more than one at a time, but I decided not to.

Can you see the thicker egg white oval surrounding most of the yolk? That is the thick part of the egg white. When undisturbed, it shouldn't really spread like this egg did.


If your egg runs like mine, don't worry - use a glass to cut out a circle in your egg to make it fit on your english muffin. 

And keep the scraps - you can use them in breakfast burritos!


One down, 11 to go!


I had to drag Duke's bed closer to the kitchen so he could watch without being in the way!


What. A. Face.


I think he could smell the bacon cooking and it was driving him crazy!


I had quite a time trying to get my bacon cooked. I turned on the oven to preheat, and shortly thereafter, I smelled something burning. I was thinking to myself, I wonder what was the last thing I baked that's cooking off right now...

 And then the burning odor got really strong, so I opened the oven to see what was going on...
I vaguely remembered someone putting their child's leftover plate of food in the oven last week at the Platoon BBQ we had at our house...and there it was, all melted/burnt in the oven. I freaked out, and did one of those I-don't-know-what-to-do-first-so-I'll-just-turn-around-in-circles-for-a-few-seconds dances before I could comprehend and respond. It just so happened I had a floor fan in the next room and placed it in front of the open oven and aimed it AWAY from the smoke detector and whipped open a few windows. I used kitchen tongs to pick all the food and the melted plate out of the oven.

Small little setback.

But the bacon turned out great!

Later, I saw that Duke had crept closer.


Once all your sandwich components are prepped, you can now begin assembling sandwiches!
I sliced the bacon into thirds, and I used the same circle cutting technique on the cheese slices.
Just be sure to do them one at a time or else they will all stick together!

While toasting my english muffins, not even browning them, it set my smoke alarm off. Great. Scared me and poor Dukie.

I'm sure the cats hid under the bed upstairs, too.

MOVING ON...

English muffin bottom:


Cheese:


3 Bacon strips:


Egg:


English muffin top:


Then little Dukie decided not to listen to my command, and while trying to run away from me, he crashed into his water bowl (which I had just filled up) and spilled it allllllll over the floor.

I practically needed a mop.

So he got sent to his kennel.

Which is on the other side of the kitchen, so at least he still got to watch.


All wrapped and already in the freezer! I labeled them with a "B" for bacon, in case I made any more sandwiches and used sausage or canadian bacon. It's always good to know what's inside random stuff in your freezer!



Breakfast Burritos

At this point, I was really tired from my eventful cooking project. I looked around at my dirty kitchen (it was a mess, despite the nice photos), and after a few seconds of debating, I washed my skillet for a second time and got out the breakfast sausage to start assembling my burritos.


I saved my cheese and egg scraps from cutting circles so I could use them in my burritos. I used two rolls of sausage and I think I used 18 eggs...

Cook everything up, and assemble your burritos!


I wish I had some peppers. Or jalapenos. I think I would have added those.

I labeled these with an "S" for sausage. It made 13 burritos.


And during all this, I browned some ground turkey, and made some rice for a mexican "one pot" dinner!


Bag up the burritos and freeze 'em.

I

Was

Tired.

Bulk cooking is definitely exhausting, but SO worth it. Now we have 25 days of grab-and-go breakfasts!




Comments

  1. A. I love your wallpaper on the blog. So cute.
    B. We put bacon (when we eat it) in the oven, too. Or the microwave. They are awesome!!!!
    C. Love your recipes! They look so yummy. I haven't tried english muffin sandwiches but now I will!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Easy-Peasy Pumpkin Decorating

I sure haven't gotten around to doing much decorating for the Fall. I'm feeling sort of "Bah-humbug" about Halloween this year. I did buy some pumpkins.  And then I put them outside the garage door.  And that is about all the effort I have put forth so far.  Last year I was inspired to do some creative chevron painting on my pumpkins and use decorative ribbons. For whatever reason, this year I've been so lazy and wanted something with less effort required.  Is that bad of me?! I got my act together today and put some spider web on my now dead bushes in the front of the house (yeah I managed to kill those - I did not consider how much the dirt would settle and the top two inches of the roots became exposed. Lesson learned!). I also put some up on the brick wall by the garage. That stuff sticks perfectly to the texture of the brick!  Then I put my pumpkins by the door. I had a few pairs of black textured tights, so I put one leg of

The Tears Won't Stop

I can't sleep, guys. Valentine's Day is coming up soon. And tonight, the tears started, and they just wouldn't stop. 2008 was truly an unbearable year. A lot of you know my story and the connection here, but many of you don't. I don't think that I've shared about the whole year, all together. I've been told by a few very supportive friends that my story could basically be a Nicholas Sparks movie; I think the ending is still being written. So, I'll do my best to get it all in writing, in one place. To start off, you'll need a little background information. It's mid-2007, and I am about to head off for my senior year of college, and my boyfriend (now husband) was about to embark on his first tour of duty overseas as a Military Police Reservist. My mom was 1 year into her cancer diagnosis, and was experiencing back pain, which she attributed to working in the yard so much that summer. After the New Year, Chris was about halfway t

That's My Story and I'm Sticking To It

Pinterest is amazing . Have you heard of it? I hope so, because if not, you are truly missing out. It has almost become the new "Google" for some (me). I am more likely to hop on Pinterest to search for a yummy recipe than search on Google. I would like to point out, however, that Google has a recipe tab that you can click on, and then on the left side of the screen you can checkmark the boxes to indicate if you want that ingredient to be present in your recipe. Kinda handy if you are looking for a recipe and you can only remember a few ingredients in it. Anyway, browsing Pinterest has led me to great ideas, recipes, products, and left me drooling over dream homes and a wardrobe to die for. But recently, as Pinterest has become more popular, I have noticed some really dumb links. I am not typically one to point out stuff like this, but some of these things just crack me up! I'm not sure I get this. This image is suggesting that this is an acceptable way to re-sea