Skip to main content

These Keys

I took another major life step about 2 weeks ago. 

I put in my notice at my job.

I have never been the type of person to just quit or "get tired" of working somewhere. I don't interview at jobs that I'm not serious about, nor do I just take a job just because it's a job. I am committed, I don't like letting people down, and I always put my all in whatever I do.

So this was kind of a big deal for me.

In college, I quit working because my mom grew very sick and I went home just about every weekend.

I quit working at the preschool that I adored because the Army was taking us away.

And now, I have worked my last day at maurices because I am going to have a baby.

A baby!

It is so hard for me to turn in these keys.


Turning in these keys, to me, represents BIG life changes ahead. Each time I have quit a job and turned in keys has been the first step towards something drastic and life changing.

My last day at work was yesterday.

I handed them over with feelings of sadness.

Excitement.

Nervousness.

Such a confusing bundle of emotions all wrapped up together.

I didn't want to go. I almost felt like my work wasn't done.

But for the sake of my baby and a healthy pregnancy, it was the right decision. 

Turning in these keys meant no more days of dressing mannequins, no more set changes, no more fun customers, no more amazing coworkers, no more manager meetings, no more dance parties on slow days, no more bonding with special customers, no more trying on fun new clothes, no more store goals to hit...

No more seeing my friends (almost) everyday.

I felt kind of like a wimp, for a lack of a better term, for not being able to stay on the job throughout my pregnancy. I tried to imagine every scenario that could keep me on the team.

But I didn't realize until my belly had really begun to grow that every lift, every reach, everything I was used to doing was already harder for me. We do so much movement of product and wall hardware and boxes and tables and mannequin stands and racks and up and down ladders. I got winded much easier. I started to realize that it may not be a good idea for me to continue in this way at this pace. I am classified as high risk, and even though my doctor had no concerns up to this point, I was starting to realize that this much time on my feet for hours a day doing these tasks was not what was best for me.

On days I was scheduled to work, I would only be able to go to work. That was all the energy I had. If I worked in the morning, I would spend the rest of the day on the couch. Maybe I'd have some leftover energy to make a stop at the grocery store on the way home. If I worked in the afternoon, I knew I'd better not do too much in the morning or else I'd have a hard time making it through my shift later.

Chris and I talked about me working while pregnant. The plan was always for me to be a stay-at-home mom. I was mentally prepared to work for awhile longer. But my body was not! I was dragging my feet making my official decision; I did not want to eliminate my paycheck when we have all these things to buy for little miss Ava.

But I also knew that money would never trump my health or my concern for keeping Ava all happy and nestled right where she is.

Oh, these keys.

I tearfully wrote my resignation. I knew it was the right thing to do, it just felt so weird to have to do it sooner than I was hoping.

Maurices was my family. Is my family.

I have knack for picking pretty good places to work. I'm telling you - coworkers make ALL the difference in the world. Consider that a compliment if I have worked with you! :) People who take their job seriously and are committed to the cause of the company make it so much more enjoyable. A strong, fair, and personable management team are a must as well, if I do say so myself. 

I will always love you, maurices.

This is not the last you've seen of me!

Now will you please create a maternity line?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy-Peasy Pumpkin Decorating

I sure haven't gotten around to doing much decorating for the Fall. I'm feeling sort of "Bah-humbug" about Halloween this year. I did buy some pumpkins.  And then I put them outside the garage door.  And that is about all the effort I have put forth so far.  Last year I was inspired to do some creative chevron painting on my pumpkins and use decorative ribbons. For whatever reason, this year I've been so lazy and wanted something with less effort required.  Is that bad of me?! I got my act together today and put some spider web on my now dead bushes in the front of the house (yeah I managed to kill those - I did not consider how much the dirt would settle and the top two inches of the roots became exposed. Lesson learned!). I also put some up on the brick wall by the garage. That stuff sticks perfectly to the texture of the brick!  Then I put my pumpkins by the door. I had a few pairs of black textured tights, so I put one leg of

The Tears Won't Stop

I can't sleep, guys. Valentine's Day is coming up soon. And tonight, the tears started, and they just wouldn't stop. 2008 was truly an unbearable year. A lot of you know my story and the connection here, but many of you don't. I don't think that I've shared about the whole year, all together. I've been told by a few very supportive friends that my story could basically be a Nicholas Sparks movie; I think the ending is still being written. So, I'll do my best to get it all in writing, in one place. To start off, you'll need a little background information. It's mid-2007, and I am about to head off for my senior year of college, and my boyfriend (now husband) was about to embark on his first tour of duty overseas as a Military Police Reservist. My mom was 1 year into her cancer diagnosis, and was experiencing back pain, which she attributed to working in the yard so much that summer. After the New Year, Chris was about halfway t

That's My Story and I'm Sticking To It

Pinterest is amazing . Have you heard of it? I hope so, because if not, you are truly missing out. It has almost become the new "Google" for some (me). I am more likely to hop on Pinterest to search for a yummy recipe than search on Google. I would like to point out, however, that Google has a recipe tab that you can click on, and then on the left side of the screen you can checkmark the boxes to indicate if you want that ingredient to be present in your recipe. Kinda handy if you are looking for a recipe and you can only remember a few ingredients in it. Anyway, browsing Pinterest has led me to great ideas, recipes, products, and left me drooling over dream homes and a wardrobe to die for. But recently, as Pinterest has become more popular, I have noticed some really dumb links. I am not typically one to point out stuff like this, but some of these things just crack me up! I'm not sure I get this. This image is suggesting that this is an acceptable way to re-sea