Skip to main content

24 Weeks

I made it to 24 weeks!! It's a very exciting day for me personally - it's viability day! Heaven forbid, if Ava was born today, she would have a 50/50 chance of survival. Of course, I want better than that, but for whatever reason, week 24 in pregnancy has been on my mind since the beginning. I was so worried that this pregnancy would be "flawed" due to the way it started out and my bleeding at 6.5 weeks. But Ava has proven me wrong, and I'm so glad for it!

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday. It was the first one after the anatomy scan. At 20 weeks, Ava was measuring in the 45th percentile overall for size. She weighed 300 and some odd grams (I forget now how many she said), which puts her at just under a pound. So now that it's 4 weeks later, I'm sure she's over a pound now! The doctor said everything looked good in her scan. She did say that Ava does have some inflammation in one of her kidneys, but my doctor said it's nothing to worry about, but simply something to watch. It may just resolve itself and not be an issue at all. That combined with the fact that I have a bicornuate uterus (which may limit Ava's growing room) led the doctor to want to do regular ultrasounds for growth scans and to be able to check up on her kidney.

That made me feel a lot better - I have been wondering if I would be monitored more closely and was hoping for it! Ava was happy to kick and move around a lot while the doctor was trying to measure her heart rate! She doesn't like those dopplers!

My glucose test is coming up in a few weeks, followed by an ultrasound, and then my 28 week appointment. At 32 weeks I can register for classes and a hospital tour. Things are picking up! I am thinking that these next few weeks might just be the last few "slow" ones.

We are making progress in the nursery - we finally got a changing dresser for Ava! We got a pretty good deal on it, and it has been a fun little project for Chris. It started out a blueish-green color. The previous owner said that it had a couple of layers of paint on it, so we decided to strip it.



And then we took a break and sat in the back of my car. It was a beautiful day. So thankful that winter is (hopefully) making it's exit! In like a lion, out like a lamb!


It's more of a weekend project, so it's hanging out in the garage, mostly stripped down to the wood - only the nooks and crannies are left now.

Ironically, it is almost the same turquoise color I'm going for in her room! It's funny to see how her room is coming together - I was originally going for mostly grey and white with a bold pink with just a little turquoise as a secondary color. But now that I have everything laid out, I'm realizing that I was searching so hard for that turquoise color that is so hard to find, that her room is going to be mostly white and turquoise with pops of grey and bold pink as a secondary color!

I still love it! I enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of finding just the right thing for her room!

I've done really good at taking what I had originally wanted and tweaking it to save some dollas. With the bigger and more expensive items, I am striving to pick items that are gender neutral so they can be used in the future if we have a boy.

I was SO bummed that I missed out on all the great consignment sales in KC, and then my neighbor told me about a local one here! I was excited to get my "new mom" pass at the last minute!

And I scored. Here's what I got:



A Baby Einstein Jumperoo (missing a few toys). Retails $89 at Babies R Us.

A mint green bumbo seat WITH safety straps (the older ones do not have these). Retails $44 at Babies R Us.

A foam changing mat for her dresser. Retails $26 at Babies R Us.

A tummy-time mirror. Similar one retails $19 at Babies R Us.

...and a 4th of July dress for around her first birthday. Retails I don't know. $10-15?


So that would put it at around $188 BEFORE tax.


You know how much I spent on it all??


Fifty-five dollars. NO TAX.


FIFTY FIVE DOLLARS!!! This is exciting stuff, people!!

Babies are SO expensive...

I think we are going to splurge and buy the 4moms mamaRoo swing with our Babies R Us gift cards here soon. We've already set up the pack-n-play (I know, I know...we are still 16 weeks away...) and moved the bookshelves upstairs to make room for all this baby gear.

I am hoping Tricare will cover a breast pump. Fingers crossed!! After that, we are down to her carseat, stroller, baby monitor, and a chair for her room.

So how have I been feeling this week?

Happy. :)

I think the weather played a HUGE part in that! We almost hit 80 degrees on Tuesday! It was glorious. We are still in that pre-spring yoyo of temperatures, but I feel like the daytime highs are going to be much more desirable from here on out.

I have felt tightening a few times in the last couple weeks. It makes me smile because I can feel her little head and the rest of her body so well. And then I drink some water to keep up with hydration. I am SO glad we ordered new couches...my back really aches by the end of the day! I am surrounding myself with 3 pillows on the couch to maximize comfort. I am anxious for the furniture to be here next week!

Last night I was getting a snack from the pantry and I swung the door open into my belly. Sorry, Ava! This is not the first time I've done this. And it makes me laugh every time! Another thing to adjust to!

My sleeping habits have gotten very odd lately. I've always been more of a night owl, but I've been getting tired around 8 at night! Or sometimes I feel like I'm not tired at all until 11. If I have to wake up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I can usually just fall back asleep. Occasionally I will be wide awake and mess around on my phone until I get sleepy again. But here lately I've been sort of roused awake while Chris is getting ready for PT, and then I realize that I have a full bladder, and after getting up to go, there is no way I can fall back asleep. Other mornings I will sleep right through him getting up and I can't seem to get myself out of bed! So either I get up a little after 5 or a little before 9 or 10. No in-between! This morning was an early one; there was no way I could go back to sleep after going to the bathroom and realizing that I was starving. I've already had my first breakfast...I'm sure I'll have another one soon!

In other random news, I hit 20,000 views on my blog the other day! It's very far from the traffic successful blogs have, but I thought it was kind of exciting! I don't do any sort of marketing or have any sponsors - it's all self-generated. Plus this blog is mainly just for me and sharing my life with friends and family who are far away.


Thanks so much for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy-Peasy Pumpkin Decorating

I sure haven't gotten around to doing much decorating for the Fall. I'm feeling sort of "Bah-humbug" about Halloween this year. I did buy some pumpkins.  And then I put them outside the garage door.  And that is about all the effort I have put forth so far.  Last year I was inspired to do some creative chevron painting on my pumpkins and use decorative ribbons. For whatever reason, this year I've been so lazy and wanted something with less effort required.  Is that bad of me?! I got my act together today and put some spider web on my now dead bushes in the front of the house (yeah I managed to kill those - I did not consider how much the dirt would settle and the top two inches of the roots became exposed. Lesson learned!). I also put some up on the brick wall by the garage. That stuff sticks perfectly to the texture of the brick!  Then I put my pumpkins by the door. I had a few pairs of black textured tights, so I put one leg of

The Tears Won't Stop

I can't sleep, guys. Valentine's Day is coming up soon. And tonight, the tears started, and they just wouldn't stop. 2008 was truly an unbearable year. A lot of you know my story and the connection here, but many of you don't. I don't think that I've shared about the whole year, all together. I've been told by a few very supportive friends that my story could basically be a Nicholas Sparks movie; I think the ending is still being written. So, I'll do my best to get it all in writing, in one place. To start off, you'll need a little background information. It's mid-2007, and I am about to head off for my senior year of college, and my boyfriend (now husband) was about to embark on his first tour of duty overseas as a Military Police Reservist. My mom was 1 year into her cancer diagnosis, and was experiencing back pain, which she attributed to working in the yard so much that summer. After the New Year, Chris was about halfway t

That's My Story and I'm Sticking To It

Pinterest is amazing . Have you heard of it? I hope so, because if not, you are truly missing out. It has almost become the new "Google" for some (me). I am more likely to hop on Pinterest to search for a yummy recipe than search on Google. I would like to point out, however, that Google has a recipe tab that you can click on, and then on the left side of the screen you can checkmark the boxes to indicate if you want that ingredient to be present in your recipe. Kinda handy if you are looking for a recipe and you can only remember a few ingredients in it. Anyway, browsing Pinterest has led me to great ideas, recipes, products, and left me drooling over dream homes and a wardrobe to die for. But recently, as Pinterest has become more popular, I have noticed some really dumb links. I am not typically one to point out stuff like this, but some of these things just crack me up! I'm not sure I get this. This image is suggesting that this is an acceptable way to re-sea