Skip to main content

Another Miracle in the Making

**This post was written a few weeks ago, and I am just now publishing it.**

I don't even know how to start this post so I'm just going to start putting my thoughts down.

I find it so ironic that my post from earlier today included a part about wondering how I'm going to store all of Ava's baby things.

I found out just a few hours ago that I will only have to keep them in storage for 9 months!!!!!!

...yes, I found out today that I am pregnant...AGAIN!!!!!!!!


Oh my gosh. Obviously I am writing this up just a few hours after seeing that positive test, so things are just sinking in.

It is just so wild! God sure does work in mysterious ways!

So let's rewind to how I got to this joyous moment!

Chris and I decided when Ava was around 8 months old that we would forgo the birth control and let nature take its course. We want to have kids close-ish in age, and once again, we felt confident in going the "no birth control" route since my body sucks at ovulating. I was still not 100% ready for another baby, but we figured there was no point to prevent pregnancy in case it took us a long time to conceive again. As things became easier with Ava with each passing month, I realized I was coming around to the idea of being pregnant again. 

TMI ALERT (haha)
Fast-forward to May, and we are still moving along sans birth control, when AUNT FLO shows up for the first time since before my pregnancy with Ava...and man it was AWFUL. I'm talking going to the bathroom to "freshen up" every 45 minutes for the first 2 days. I slept on bath towels to eliminate the risk of ruining the mattress. Yeah, it was that bad!! I dreaded when my next period would come because I didn't want to deal with that again.

The conversation of a visit to the doctor came up a few times. Since we know we are moving, we thought it might be a good idea to talk to my doctor about getting Clomid again so that we could at least have the medication on hand when we were ready to try, especially if I would be "between doctors" for a little while until we get settled in Georgia. I knew I could not take Clomid while breastfeeding, so Ava had to be fully weaned before I could take any fertility medication. So we were kind of waiting around for Ava's birthday so I could begin weaning her.

Chris and I had talked about how fun it would be to surprise everyone at Ava's first birthday party with the news that she would be a big sister. Her party came and went and I never had the slightest feeling that I needed to take a pregnancy test. It wasn't even on my mind at all. I was still anxiously awaiting my next period and I was hoping that it wouldn't arrive during our trip to Kansas!

Once we got home, I began weaning Ava, and Chris and I started a high-protein, low-carb, no sugar diet along with an exercise plan. We were ready to get fit and eat better, and for me, there was no better time to do it than when I was planning to wean Ava. I was mentally ready to focus on ME and getting my body back on track without having to worry about if/how it would affect my supply.

So we began the diet, and Chris was loving it because you eat all the time and eat tons of protein and veggies. Me, on the other hand...I seemed to be struggling to eat the chicken and veggies even when I was starving. I've never been a big protein person; I like the side dishes more. I'd be happy with a 4 ounce steak at a steakhouse! Anyway, at dinner last night Chris had a heaping bowl of broccoli and cauliflower and just looking at it made me want to gag! I had made some oven roasted broccoli earlier in the week that I just couldn't bring myself to eat as leftovers. I thought, man, this diet sucks! Why do I have to fight my gag reflex when I'm starving?! I thought it must be just my body adjusting to weaning Ava and this no sugar/low-carb diet.

Today at lunch I was starving..and once again had to force myself to eat my chicken and veggies. I threw half of it away. I took a trip to the commissary and it occurred to me...I should probably take a pregnancy test! My period was awhile ago, and who knows when it will come back since those first few postpartum periods are whacky anyway. I had a hot flash in the store, and I remember picking up the box on the shelf and smiling because I think I realized there was a chance I could be pregnant.

But then again, how in the heck could I be?! My ovulating has always been a mess! What would the odds be that I could get pregnant without any kind of help after 4 years of trying to get pregnant with Ava?!

I came home and unloaded groceries and got Ava all set up with lunch. I peed on the stick and then went back into the kitchen to put groceries away. I honestly forgot the test was waiting for me in the bathroom. I went back in after a few minutes, and the only thought that was in my mind was an ever-so-casual thought, "I honestly think I will be disappointed if it's negative!"

Just like a leaf in the wind, not even a deep or preconceived thought. Just in that moment, I realized how much I wanted to be pregnant again.

To my surprise, it said PREGNANT +3. 

(The cheapest box of digital tests was the one that "predicts" how many weeks along you are.)

I immediately gasped and kept on saying "oh my gosh" over and over and carried the stick around the house until I found my phone. I called Chris at work and asked what him what he was doing to make sure he wasn't distracted or super busy. He said something or other - I'm sure he could hear how big my smile was on the other end - and I blurted it out:

"I just took a pregnancy test, and it says POSITIVE! It says POSITIVE!!!"

I was laughing! I was crying! I was sweating!

Chris was laughing with me and said "Really?! That's so awesome!"

And we just kind of gasped and breathed and laughed and I cried some more and wiped my brow and we tried to gather our thoughts. I told him I was sorry for ruining his focus for the rest of the day! And of course, since this happened on a Friday afternoon, I had no time to make it in to the doctor for a pregnancy test. It will have to wait until Monday. It's not quite as scary this time around because: 

1. Chris is home this time and I didn't have to keep it a secret for 4 weeks (that was such torture) and 

2. I know exactly how this will work this time and there will be no stressing out about knowing what to do: I have to do a walk-in pregnancy test at the clinic, it gets sent up to OB, they call me a few days later to set up my orientation appointment, at the orientation appointment I will then be assigned to a doctor. At that appointment I will get an ultrasound and then we will officially know how far along I am. It takes 3 visits to get a due date, ugh!!

My pregnancy app that I've already re-downloaded tells me that I'm already 8 weeks along. I'm kind of doubting that, but I guess it's possible if I ovulated like a normal person. But since I'm not normal (haha) and slight nausea seems to have just kicked in, I'm thinking it's more like 4 or 5. We won't know for sure until that first ultrasound!

I am already wondering what this first trimester will feel like. Will it be the same as with Ava? I had a lot of breast tenderness before I tested with Ava, and I haven't felt that at all this time, but I am finishing up nursing so that could be why. I have had a lot of uterine rumblings feelings tenderness I can't even put it into words - just that sense that something was happening, which I assumed was my period threatening to show up any day.

And I was just thinking to myself earlier today: "what am I going to blog about now since there are no more weekly pregnancy updates or monthly Ava updates?!"

Well I guess you all are in luck because you are about to get 9 MORE MONTHS of updates!!!

Ok, well I may not post as much as last time because I'll have Ava to chase after and even though it is still so exciting to be pregnant again, it won't be my first time so things aren't as new.

We love you already, little one! Ava is going to be a phenomenal big sister!!!


Comments

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Easy-Peasy Pumpkin Decorating

I sure haven't gotten around to doing much decorating for the Fall. I'm feeling sort of "Bah-humbug" about Halloween this year. I did buy some pumpkins.  And then I put them outside the garage door.  And that is about all the effort I have put forth so far.  Last year I was inspired to do some creative chevron painting on my pumpkins and use decorative ribbons. For whatever reason, this year I've been so lazy and wanted something with less effort required.  Is that bad of me?! I got my act together today and put some spider web on my now dead bushes in the front of the house (yeah I managed to kill those - I did not consider how much the dirt would settle and the top two inches of the roots became exposed. Lesson learned!). I also put some up on the brick wall by the garage. That stuff sticks perfectly to the texture of the brick!  Then I put my pumpkins by the door. I had a few pairs of black textured tights, so I put one leg of

The Tears Won't Stop

I can't sleep, guys. Valentine's Day is coming up soon. And tonight, the tears started, and they just wouldn't stop. 2008 was truly an unbearable year. A lot of you know my story and the connection here, but many of you don't. I don't think that I've shared about the whole year, all together. I've been told by a few very supportive friends that my story could basically be a Nicholas Sparks movie; I think the ending is still being written. So, I'll do my best to get it all in writing, in one place. To start off, you'll need a little background information. It's mid-2007, and I am about to head off for my senior year of college, and my boyfriend (now husband) was about to embark on his first tour of duty overseas as a Military Police Reservist. My mom was 1 year into her cancer diagnosis, and was experiencing back pain, which she attributed to working in the yard so much that summer. After the New Year, Chris was about halfway t

That's My Story and I'm Sticking To It

Pinterest is amazing . Have you heard of it? I hope so, because if not, you are truly missing out. It has almost become the new "Google" for some (me). I am more likely to hop on Pinterest to search for a yummy recipe than search on Google. I would like to point out, however, that Google has a recipe tab that you can click on, and then on the left side of the screen you can checkmark the boxes to indicate if you want that ingredient to be present in your recipe. Kinda handy if you are looking for a recipe and you can only remember a few ingredients in it. Anyway, browsing Pinterest has led me to great ideas, recipes, products, and left me drooling over dream homes and a wardrobe to die for. But recently, as Pinterest has become more popular, I have noticed some really dumb links. I am not typically one to point out stuff like this, but some of these things just crack me up! I'm not sure I get this. This image is suggesting that this is an acceptable way to re-sea