Skip to main content

One Week Postpartum with Little Liam

I find myself in shock at how different this postpartum experience has been so far compared to last time.

This time around, I have been happy and felt immediate love for my newborn and extreme contentedness with our new family of four. It made me reflect on life after Ava's birth, and I now feel a little bad for myself that I thought that experience was normal typical. Looking back, I think I may have had the baby blues because I definitely did not feel as happy as I thought I would be! I was a first-time parent. My baby was delivered via emergency c-section, so physically and emotionally I had been through a lot. Everything was new, and everything was scary. We were learning to parent one hour at a time.

7 days after surgery, I just can't believe how good I feel! I mean, of course I don't really feel good, but I'm getting around really well and a time or two I have not kept up with my pain meds and I hardly noticed. I might consider reducing my dose of Ibuprofen soon! Chris even said he can't believe the drastic difference in pain medication I'm requiring this time! I dropped the Tylenol after a day or two at home. Last time I was on Percocet for a week and then weaned to just Ibuprofen and I think I stayed on that for quite awhile. So not only was I waking to nurse Ava, I was also waking to keep up with my meds around the clock. It was exhausting! And while of course I'm tired this time, somehow I'm dealing with it much better at one week. Liam had a little day/night confusion so there were two long nights because of that, and then one night he "forgot" how to latch so that took awhile to work through. I suspect what happened is engorgement came along and he got used to latching to huge swollen breasts, and then once they softened as engorgement was passing, he wasn't sure what to do. But! He's had 2 great nights besides those! He will wake to nurse every 2 to 2.5 hours and go right back to sleep. So last night I nursed him at 10, put him "to bed", and then he woke at 12:30, 3:00, and just before 6. So only 3 times! I can deal with that!

I can't help but compare him to Ava as a newborn. She was more needy, I think. She didn't like her swing - Liam loves his - and she didn't sleep as long. She was a slow eater (45 minutes most times, sometimes an hour) and Liam is a quicker eater. So the fact that Liam is overall a bit of an "easier" baby at this point, combined with an easier recovery and the fact that we are second-time parents has made this recovery feel like a cake walk! I think I am on the downhill of breastfeeding discomforts. I ended up with a cracked nipple with Ava - NOT VERY FUN, PEOPLE!! - and this time I've only had moderate soreness that seems to be easing into mild soreness now. It also has made a tremendous difference to have help from the beginning - no worries about cooking or cleaning and extra hands to help with Ava!

Ava likes to check on her "bay bee" and see what he's up to. She still loves to poke his cheeks and she likes to "help" swing him in his swing. She has started bringing him things, like her beloved sheepy and bunny! And last night after Ava was in bed, I was getting Liam out of the swing and saw that she had given him her golf ball that she had been playing with! She likes to lean over and talk to him and get in his face to look at him. She's just recently wanted to "snuggle" with him - she kind of lays her head near or on his. It's pretty sweet! We have to watch her closely as of course she is still very much a baby herself and doesn't know not to smash him or crawl over him. But she seems to be adjusting pretty well! I have been able to be a part of bedtime with her like I was hoping. Liam just hangs out in the swing. I'll ask her to help with Liam, whether it's covering him with a blanket or picking out a diaper for him. She tried to put one of his diapers on - she sat on it and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fit!

I do get a little sad sometimes because Ava comes up to me with arms outstretched to be held and all I can do is slowly kneel or squat and offer her a hug, or I'll tell her to come to the couch and we can sit together. I neeeeeeed to hold my first baby!! So I'm anxious for when my belly isn't so tender and I can snuggle her a bit better. It's hard for me to let others take care of her needs when that's been my job for her entire life. So the first night at home I was tearful because I realized both my babies need me so much but I wouldn't be able to meet all of Ava's needs right away or that I'd have to let someone else take over.

I also get a little sad sometimes when I look at Liam because he might be our last baby. This might be the last time I get to snuggle our newborn child. The last newborn phase. I was feeling kind of bummed that my giant belly is gone, and that it may never swell up with a life inside again. I've become less and less nostalgic as I've gotten older - probably because the Army has forced me to learn to let go of things and move on - but I almost feel as if Liam is the last chapter in my child-bearing years. I think 2 kids is perfection, but its hard to tell at this point! Anyway, the tugging at my heart that I feel reminds me to enjoy every second of our kids' lives. I look at Liam and I just know how fast he's going to grow and change, and I don't want to wish away these early days even when sleep and alone time are slim to none. I know I'll get that back someday!


Lighting in Liam's room is so horrible! This photo is as real as it gets - I finally got a shower after Ava went to bed. I had a few hours by myself with the kids today (omg did I just type kids?! This is crazy!!) while Chris took his mom to the airport and then he had to go to work for a bit. And I survived! I've lost 25+ pounds this week! I have a lot of night sweats so a lot of it is water weight. I can fit into a few loose-waisted bottoms and whatever top I can find that isn't too inconvenient for nursing. So my outfits look fabulous!

I'll update more later - off to feed the little one!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy-Peasy Pumpkin Decorating

I sure haven't gotten around to doing much decorating for the Fall. I'm feeling sort of "Bah-humbug" about Halloween this year. I did buy some pumpkins.  And then I put them outside the garage door.  And that is about all the effort I have put forth so far.  Last year I was inspired to do some creative chevron painting on my pumpkins and use decorative ribbons. For whatever reason, this year I've been so lazy and wanted something with less effort required.  Is that bad of me?! I got my act together today and put some spider web on my now dead bushes in the front of the house (yeah I managed to kill those - I did not consider how much the dirt would settle and the top two inches of the roots became exposed. Lesson learned!). I also put some up on the brick wall by the garage. That stuff sticks perfectly to the texture of the brick!  Then I put my pumpkins by the door. I had a few pairs of black textured tights, so I put one leg of

The Tears Won't Stop

I can't sleep, guys. Valentine's Day is coming up soon. And tonight, the tears started, and they just wouldn't stop. 2008 was truly an unbearable year. A lot of you know my story and the connection here, but many of you don't. I don't think that I've shared about the whole year, all together. I've been told by a few very supportive friends that my story could basically be a Nicholas Sparks movie; I think the ending is still being written. So, I'll do my best to get it all in writing, in one place. To start off, you'll need a little background information. It's mid-2007, and I am about to head off for my senior year of college, and my boyfriend (now husband) was about to embark on his first tour of duty overseas as a Military Police Reservist. My mom was 1 year into her cancer diagnosis, and was experiencing back pain, which she attributed to working in the yard so much that summer. After the New Year, Chris was about halfway t

That's My Story and I'm Sticking To It

Pinterest is amazing . Have you heard of it? I hope so, because if not, you are truly missing out. It has almost become the new "Google" for some (me). I am more likely to hop on Pinterest to search for a yummy recipe than search on Google. I would like to point out, however, that Google has a recipe tab that you can click on, and then on the left side of the screen you can checkmark the boxes to indicate if you want that ingredient to be present in your recipe. Kinda handy if you are looking for a recipe and you can only remember a few ingredients in it. Anyway, browsing Pinterest has led me to great ideas, recipes, products, and left me drooling over dream homes and a wardrobe to die for. But recently, as Pinterest has become more popular, I have noticed some really dumb links. I am not typically one to point out stuff like this, but some of these things just crack me up! I'm not sure I get this. This image is suggesting that this is an acceptable way to re-sea