Skip to main content

A SAHM of 2!

I am surviving the first few days at home by myself with my babies!

A part of me was apprehensive about this new change, but I think that's because I was imagining the worst: both kids crying at the same time and me running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. But it's not been that way at all! The first day I was a bit overwhelmed and so happy when Chris came home. I think all the activity just plain wore me out! I use a step stool to help Ava get in and out of her crib. I change her and dress her on the floor and I just suck it up and lift her into her chair at our bar-height table. Probably the most frustrating part is when Ava wants to run away from me and I have to chase her down - she is definitely faster than me right now! I am healing so well; I stopped taking all pain pills by about 1 week after surgery. Pretty impressive! It feels so good to be able to sleep on my side...although full breasts kind of get in the way, haha! About 35 pounds have just fallen off, and I think the weight loss from here on out will be a lot slower. My belly is not as puffy now, just me and my empty pooch, haha! I can finally see my incision without using a mirror! I think I might end up with the infamous "c-section belly flap", but we will see how my belly continues to shrink over these next several weeks. I got 2 stretch marks on my belly this time, but they actually make me smile when I see them. They're like nature's tattoos! I grew my baby boy, and I'm thrilled he's here, and I'll think of my time carrying him whenever I see them in the mirror!

Liam is a pretty laid back baby! He sure is noisy, though! He does lots of grunting, especially when he's eating, or when he's trying to wake up or transition in his sleep. It makes it hard for me to determine if he is actually awake and I should feed him, or let him try to keep sleeping! Especially at night when Chris and I are trying to sleep and he's grunting away - the easy thing would be to just get up and feed him instead of listening to 15 minutes of noisemaking and thinking about what to do. When he is truly hungry/awake, he will work up to a singular, open-mouth cry. I'm thinking that's his sign! We are still in the stage of getting to know him, so each day I learn more and more!

Ava has adjusted wonderfully! So far she's not displayed any jealousy. Maybe in the first day or two, but those few days were an adjustment for us all! I try to let her be apart of as many things with Liam as I can. She sits with us while I nurse him on the couch and she watches very intently. I tell her that is how I fed her when she was a tiny baby. She touches his head, his arm, his toes, and leans in so her head touches him. All while quietly observing. It's pretty sweet! She likes when he is in his play gym so she can sit or lay with him. Today she patted the mat and wanted him to lay down with her! She likes to watch when I change him and she will give Liam a diaper. She'll cover him up with a blanket if I ask her and she brings him toys when he is in the swing. Chris and I have both noticed that Ava seems to have regressed a bit with her talking - she now resorts to saying "mmm" for words she used to say. It could be because she's just gotten lazy since we understand what she wants now, or she's trying to be like noisy brother! So we have to prompt her a lot to "use your words".

We are preparing his room for some crib naps! I've already got that feeling that I'm ready for daytime activities to happen in his room - diaper changes and nursing. Right now EVERYTHING is in our bedroom. I feel like I'm constantly dragging things from his room to ours - lotion, diapers, wipes, blankets, extra clothes (he pees on everything) - and it's driving me a little nuts! We currently have 5 wipe containers across the house...FIVE!!! Clearly structure is something I can't get away from, even if I want to! Mommy and daddy like their own space, too! I'm a little cautious to have him in his room overnight because he has had 2 massive spit-ups in his short little life already, and both have been shortly after he fell asleep. So laying him flat on his back might be something we hold off on for nighttime until his little tummy matures a bit.

We have one more visitor coming early next week, so after that, we are going to start the transition to the crib! We got Ava used to her crib from the very beginning and it was effortless with her. I don't think we will have many problems - he seems to be a pretty go-with-the-flow guy!

Fingers crossed things continue to go well!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy-Peasy Pumpkin Decorating

I sure haven't gotten around to doing much decorating for the Fall. I'm feeling sort of "Bah-humbug" about Halloween this year. I did buy some pumpkins.  And then I put them outside the garage door.  And that is about all the effort I have put forth so far.  Last year I was inspired to do some creative chevron painting on my pumpkins and use decorative ribbons. For whatever reason, this year I've been so lazy and wanted something with less effort required.  Is that bad of me?! I got my act together today and put some spider web on my now dead bushes in the front of the house (yeah I managed to kill those - I did not consider how much the dirt would settle and the top two inches of the roots became exposed. Lesson learned!). I also put some up on the brick wall by the garage. That stuff sticks perfectly to the texture of the brick!  Then I put my pumpkins by the door. I had a few pairs of black textured tights, so I put one leg of

The Tears Won't Stop

I can't sleep, guys. Valentine's Day is coming up soon. And tonight, the tears started, and they just wouldn't stop. 2008 was truly an unbearable year. A lot of you know my story and the connection here, but many of you don't. I don't think that I've shared about the whole year, all together. I've been told by a few very supportive friends that my story could basically be a Nicholas Sparks movie; I think the ending is still being written. So, I'll do my best to get it all in writing, in one place. To start off, you'll need a little background information. It's mid-2007, and I am about to head off for my senior year of college, and my boyfriend (now husband) was about to embark on his first tour of duty overseas as a Military Police Reservist. My mom was 1 year into her cancer diagnosis, and was experiencing back pain, which she attributed to working in the yard so much that summer. After the New Year, Chris was about halfway t

That's My Story and I'm Sticking To It

Pinterest is amazing . Have you heard of it? I hope so, because if not, you are truly missing out. It has almost become the new "Google" for some (me). I am more likely to hop on Pinterest to search for a yummy recipe than search on Google. I would like to point out, however, that Google has a recipe tab that you can click on, and then on the left side of the screen you can checkmark the boxes to indicate if you want that ingredient to be present in your recipe. Kinda handy if you are looking for a recipe and you can only remember a few ingredients in it. Anyway, browsing Pinterest has led me to great ideas, recipes, products, and left me drooling over dream homes and a wardrobe to die for. But recently, as Pinterest has become more popular, I have noticed some really dumb links. I am not typically one to point out stuff like this, but some of these things just crack me up! I'm not sure I get this. This image is suggesting that this is an acceptable way to re-sea