Skip to main content

I Had Postpartum Depression and I Didn't Know It


My first postpartum experience was awful. But I didn't know it at the time. I couldn't see how extremely difficult things were in the midst of it all, but looking back after a second postpartum experience, I really wish I would have reached out for help.


I had:

-lots of pain, took Percocet for a week+ and then Ibuprofen for almost a month

-nightly periods of sadness, like clockwork from 7-9 pm, every night for about 2 weeks

-lots of blood clots, one HUGE one that scared the crap out of me (I literally thought, this is it, I can't have children anymore; we went to the ER, I was fine)

-breastfeeding pains, and a cracked nipple that made me dread every single feeding for about 4 weeks (its seriously no fun to dread feedings, you're supposed to enjoy those!)

-sadness and anxiety (I assumed this was how it was to be a first-time mom. Everytime she cried I immediately got anxious and nervous, even if her crying was easily and predictably fixed by a feeding or being held.)

-was in a constant sleep-deprived fog (the Percocet probably didn't help, I ALWAYS felt groggy, like I couldn't snap out of it, I couldn't think straight most of the time)

-frequent headaches that would last for days

-low fever (should I be concerned? Is this normal? I had no idea)

-constant back pain (I later realized was due to unsupportive nursing bras)

-UTI (thankfully Ava's pediatrician helped me out at her 2-week check up and I didn't have to make another appointment)

-crazy hormones - a permanent kink in my hair (still have it! It's almost down to my shoulders now), a ridge in my fingernails, intense night sweats

I didn't know to ask for help from my doctor because I assumed this was just "how it was" to have a new baby. I didn't know it didn't have to be so dang hard. I remember thinking of how I never wanted to have a baby again, and it made me so sad to think about those feelings. How could I not want another baby? How did I go from wanting a baby so badly and then having a pretty perfectly happy pregnancy to this dark hole I now found myself in? I loved Ava dearly, but I was not enjoying being her mommy. The cards and congratulations began to flood in immediately after her birth, but even those didn't lift me up. If anything, it made me feel worse - "What is wrong with me? I'm trying to be happy...I think I am happy...I am supposed to be happy".

I spent a lot of time wondering how in the world everyone else who had a baby survived. How they managed to get back to their normal day to day activities. I saw friends who took their tiny babies on camping trips, road trips, and just got out and did things. Everyday things. Those things seemed so hard or impossible to me! I don't think I managed to get a dinner made until Ava was a few months old. I just couldn't get my act together. The new mommies with hair done and makeup on and a put-together outfit made me more confused. I was lucky to have brushed my teeth and put on pants for the day! And it really bothered me. I had done all this waiting to become a mother, and I was so excited to soak up and enjoy every minute, and it was not turning out to be what I thought. At all. I knew it would be hard, that my life would change permanently, but I was almost angry that it was so hard for me.

I think I just had rotten luck with my first postpartum experience. I had major abdominal surgery that was rushed to save Ava, I was a first-time mom, I had a really rough start with breastfeeding, Ava was a cat napper so I rarely got to catch up on sleep, AND I got slammed with crazy hormones and emotions - most likely postpartum depression. I think what made it hard for me to recognize that I had it was that I loved Ava, I treasured her, and I was so thankful to have her. Everything I had read suggested that if you had PPD that you wouldn't want to hold your baby, that you wouldn't even like your baby. And that was not the case with me.

I know now after my second postpartum experience that you really shouldn't feel that different after having a baby. Tired, of course, maybe a little overwhelmed, emotional - sure, but not out of it for weeks on end.

This time:

-well controlled, short-lived pain (came off of all meds by 1 week)

-one or two emotional days

-mild breastfeeding pain, resolved in 2 weeks' time (the Lactation Consultant described Liam as an "aggressive nurser")

-tired, but not in a fog

-back pain (resolved once I wore a more supportive nursing bra)

-most of all, I feel like I can function and I feel pretty normal and happy!

Liam is definitely more of a crier than Ava was as a newborn. I've been reminding myself lately, for a lot of reasons, that God never gives you more than you can handle. I suppose I was meant to have PPD the first time around so that I could really appreciate little Liam and this postpartum experience! Liam is a better sleeper but usually isn't content when he's awake unless he's being held. He cries when he's hungry and cries when he's tired...which may sound totally and completely normal to most people, but Ava never did! She never cried at night - I just heard her rustling in her crib and knew to go to her. Ava spoiled us with her amazing temperament, but the trade-off was her 20 minute naps! If God gave me Liam first, with all of his fussing, I think I truly would have gone off the deep end!

My point in sharing all of this, is that there is a postpartum depression spectrum - it might be really apparent that you have it, or you may have some symptoms but not others, and you could also just have a touch of depression. Don't be like me and assume that everything is "fine" and that your experience is "normal". If it feels hard, say something! I'm not even sure I knew how to put the words together, but saying "I don't feel right" probably would have been enough. It's pretty amazing what our bodies can do, but sometimes our minds need a little bit of help to recover, too!

Let's bust down these walls us moms hide behind to pretend like everything is great and fine just for the sake of making it look like we have our s#*& together! That's not real! Becoming a mother for the first time (and the second time!) is seriously the hardest thing I've ever done! God made women multi-taskers for a reason - we'd never be able to raise babies otherwise! I think it is way more important for us to all support each other and reach out to say "how are you really doing" instead of trying to compete. We all want validation that we are not the only ones going through this madness! We all love our babies. We love our families. We love to feel accepted and cared for and prayed for.

So join me!!

Comments

  1. I had horrible PPD. It was the scariest thing I ever felt. I still wanted to hold my baby and I loved her, but I was struggling to function. Depression has been a struggle for me for years, but I had never felt anything like that. The hardest piece for me was giving up breastfeeding in exchange for the medication that would help me start functioning again. So many people shame you for not breastfeeding, and here I was giving it up. Over time, I came to realize that while breastfeeding is a good thing, being a functioning mother was more important. I still felt judged every time I went to the store to buy formula, but I knew that it was the right choice for us. I wish everyone would seek to understand versus judge. It isn't easy being a parent and we should be holding each other up versus dragging each other down. I'm glad to hear this time around has been emotionally easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't tell who ME is... first time I posted on a blog :) It is Mary Page (ME is my first two initials and my nickname from my godmother)

      Delete
    2. Hi Mary! I'm sorry to hear you had a rough time too - thank you for sharing your story! It's so nice to know we aren't alone! A healthy mommy is the best mommy for sure! Motherhood is such a learning curve!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Easy-Peasy Pumpkin Decorating

I sure haven't gotten around to doing much decorating for the Fall. I'm feeling sort of "Bah-humbug" about Halloween this year. I did buy some pumpkins.  And then I put them outside the garage door.  And that is about all the effort I have put forth so far.  Last year I was inspired to do some creative chevron painting on my pumpkins and use decorative ribbons. For whatever reason, this year I've been so lazy and wanted something with less effort required.  Is that bad of me?! I got my act together today and put some spider web on my now dead bushes in the front of the house (yeah I managed to kill those - I did not consider how much the dirt would settle and the top two inches of the roots became exposed. Lesson learned!). I also put some up on the brick wall by the garage. That stuff sticks perfectly to the texture of the brick!  Then I put my pumpkins by the door. I had a few pairs of black textured tights, so I put one leg of

The Tears Won't Stop

I can't sleep, guys. Valentine's Day is coming up soon. And tonight, the tears started, and they just wouldn't stop. 2008 was truly an unbearable year. A lot of you know my story and the connection here, but many of you don't. I don't think that I've shared about the whole year, all together. I've been told by a few very supportive friends that my story could basically be a Nicholas Sparks movie; I think the ending is still being written. So, I'll do my best to get it all in writing, in one place. To start off, you'll need a little background information. It's mid-2007, and I am about to head off for my senior year of college, and my boyfriend (now husband) was about to embark on his first tour of duty overseas as a Military Police Reservist. My mom was 1 year into her cancer diagnosis, and was experiencing back pain, which she attributed to working in the yard so much that summer. After the New Year, Chris was about halfway t

That's My Story and I'm Sticking To It

Pinterest is amazing . Have you heard of it? I hope so, because if not, you are truly missing out. It has almost become the new "Google" for some (me). I am more likely to hop on Pinterest to search for a yummy recipe than search on Google. I would like to point out, however, that Google has a recipe tab that you can click on, and then on the left side of the screen you can checkmark the boxes to indicate if you want that ingredient to be present in your recipe. Kinda handy if you are looking for a recipe and you can only remember a few ingredients in it. Anyway, browsing Pinterest has led me to great ideas, recipes, products, and left me drooling over dream homes and a wardrobe to die for. But recently, as Pinterest has become more popular, I have noticed some really dumb links. I am not typically one to point out stuff like this, but some of these things just crack me up! I'm not sure I get this. This image is suggesting that this is an acceptable way to re-sea