Skip to main content

Ava Turns Two

My Ava girl isn't a baby anymore.

But I know I will still call her my baby!

It's hard for me to believe that she is two! I still feel like it was just yesterday that she was swaddled in my arms, looking up at me with her big brown eyes.

I feel incredibly lucky to have my goofy, passionate, emotional toddler.

We struggled with years of infertility before I got the positive pregnancy test with her.

My unique, heart-shaped uterus grew her.

During labor, her heart rate kept plummeting, so they broke my water to speed up delivery. There was meconium in the waters and her cord prolapsed, sending us immediately to the OR for an emergency c-section. My epidural broke so I was not able to have a spinal and was put under general anesthetic for her delivery.

I didn't get to hear her first cries. I didn't get to hold her or nurse her until she was 2 hours old because I was waking up in recovery.

Despite all the odds, Ava arrived into this world at 2:28 pm, weighing 7 pounds, 14 ounces and 20 inches long.

She was perfect.

She did not have any harm from her delivery. 

She's our little miracle!

And now our girl is turning 2 years old. She's such a big girl now, and very much wants to be treated like one!

Lately she has seemed older than 2 years old to me. I'm thinking that is due to the arrival of her little brother! And how tall she is and all of her hair. She just looks older!

She asks to walk instead of being carried when we are out and about.

She likes to take care of her brother and her baby dolls.

She loves to dig in the fridge and pantry for something to eat.

The other day she sat down with her magnetic letters, which I think she's only played with one other time. She picks them up one at a time and starts to say what letter they are! I was floored!! I had no idea she knew ANY of her letters, let alone like half the alphabet!

Almost every day she's adding a new word to her spoken vocabulary.

Literally THE ONLY TIME she will cuddle is before her nap and at bedtime. I hold her and rock her and I'd sit there forever with her if I could! She's very in to the "mommy" phase right now...I am assuming a lot of that has to do with the fact that there's a baby in the house now!

Some of her new favorite things to do are coloring with crayons, sitting in Liam's jumperoo and organizing her play food on the trays, emptying my feminine product drawer in the bathroom (and dispersing it all over the house), hiding in the curtains in Liam's room, demanding for us to clap so she can sing and dance, watching music videos on YouTube (One Direction and Taylor Swift and "Let It Go"), hiding when it's time to get a diaper change or go to sleep, and any form of undivided attention from mommy and daddy!

We discovered yesterday that she might be a little pyro! She loved the little pop firecrackers and the bigger stuff that daddy lit off in the backyard! She laughed and laughed and laughed at everything! She could not stop! She had the best time getting some much needed uninterrupted playtime with us last night. We put Liam to bed so she could have us to herself and she got to stay up late and do all sorts of fun things in the backyard! She loved water balloons (mommy and daddy did too!) and even helped us pick them up afterward. "I help me!" she'd say! We used her slide to make a waterslide in her pool and we did bubbles and she ran and danced and swinging time and ate snacks. We had to convince her to come inside and get cleaned up because we could see how tired she was getting! We didn't want her to be too cranky for her birthday today!

We are keeping it low-key at the house for her birthday. Just us! We were going to go back to the beach for her birthday, but its so darn hot here and we thought the holiday weekend might be pretty busy. I baked her a cake and we've got her some presents to unwrap and balloons (bah-woons!) and her favorite dinner is on the menu - mac & cheese! We will have some sort of get together once we are in KS to celebrate with family and friends.

This girl has changed our lives more than we ever realized it could. We love her more and more every day. She's incredibly determined, curious, silly, noisy, frustrating, loving, and perceptive! I can't wait to see what else we learn about her in her upcoming years!

My Ava girl isn't a baby anymore.

But I know I will still call her my baby!
Yes, that is donut wrapping paper!
That's our girl, haha!!
She likes broccoli too.
Cake time!! My decorating skills could use some work...
Facetime! She only ate the sprinkles!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy-Peasy Pumpkin Decorating

I sure haven't gotten around to doing much decorating for the Fall. I'm feeling sort of "Bah-humbug" about Halloween this year. I did buy some pumpkins.  And then I put them outside the garage door.  And that is about all the effort I have put forth so far.  Last year I was inspired to do some creative chevron painting on my pumpkins and use decorative ribbons. For whatever reason, this year I've been so lazy and wanted something with less effort required.  Is that bad of me?! I got my act together today and put some spider web on my now dead bushes in the front of the house (yeah I managed to kill those - I did not consider how much the dirt would settle and the top two inches of the roots became exposed. Lesson learned!). I also put some up on the brick wall by the garage. That stuff sticks perfectly to the texture of the brick!  Then I put my pumpkins by the door. I had a few pairs of black textured tights, so I put one leg of

The Tears Won't Stop

I can't sleep, guys. Valentine's Day is coming up soon. And tonight, the tears started, and they just wouldn't stop. 2008 was truly an unbearable year. A lot of you know my story and the connection here, but many of you don't. I don't think that I've shared about the whole year, all together. I've been told by a few very supportive friends that my story could basically be a Nicholas Sparks movie; I think the ending is still being written. So, I'll do my best to get it all in writing, in one place. To start off, you'll need a little background information. It's mid-2007, and I am about to head off for my senior year of college, and my boyfriend (now husband) was about to embark on his first tour of duty overseas as a Military Police Reservist. My mom was 1 year into her cancer diagnosis, and was experiencing back pain, which she attributed to working in the yard so much that summer. After the New Year, Chris was about halfway t

That's My Story and I'm Sticking To It

Pinterest is amazing . Have you heard of it? I hope so, because if not, you are truly missing out. It has almost become the new "Google" for some (me). I am more likely to hop on Pinterest to search for a yummy recipe than search on Google. I would like to point out, however, that Google has a recipe tab that you can click on, and then on the left side of the screen you can checkmark the boxes to indicate if you want that ingredient to be present in your recipe. Kinda handy if you are looking for a recipe and you can only remember a few ingredients in it. Anyway, browsing Pinterest has led me to great ideas, recipes, products, and left me drooling over dream homes and a wardrobe to die for. But recently, as Pinterest has become more popular, I have noticed some really dumb links. I am not typically one to point out stuff like this, but some of these things just crack me up! I'm not sure I get this. This image is suggesting that this is an acceptable way to re-sea