Skip to main content

The Long-Anticipated Blog Name Change!!


I started my blog in May 2010, and I didn't even write a single post for nearly 2 years. I wanted a blog, but I didn't know what I wanted to do with it.

I remember just sitting in my living room, newly married, and just slapping a name on the blog: Domestic Diva Domain (I love alliteration, okay?! It's the cutesy preschool teacher in me!). I didn't love it, but I thought, it'll do.

Fast-forward a few years, and I dabbled in different topics, such as recipes, DIY tutorials, a few random updates about my life, and some Wordless Wednesday posts with just photos. I spent some time trying to understand how to format a blog and realized I'd never understand coding! Everything I  know about blogging was learned from countless hours basically doing trial and error using the provided templates. I linked up a few of my posts with Pinterest and that got me A LOT of views! One of my posts has been linked in many online articles about creative storage for the home. It was fun to watch the hits grow!

And then, our family started to grow, and my domestic drama turned more into a mommy blog. I wrote about infertility, I wrote weekly updates about my pregnancies, and monthly updates of each baby's first year of life. I shared my expertise in the field of Early Childhood Education and did some REAL TALK about the struggles of motherhood. I was really wanting to change the blog name, because it wasn't really a reflection of what my blog was about anymore.

But what to change it to?!

I've thought about it off and on the last few years.

And then today, it just hit me.

Let me give you a quick backstory about what kind of headspace I was in when I thought of this new name for my blog.

My husband is in the Army, and he is currently away at a training. Nothing new for us, really, he's been gone a lot these last 2 years, but I was on the struggle bus, nonetheless. A separation is never easy, no matter how far or how long. Anyway, this week with the kids has been challenging, with yesterday being the WORST day of the week. You know, one of those days that you need a glass of wine (or 3), a punching bag, and a one-way ticket to Tahiti. Today was a touch better, but still leading me to have a mini-mommy-meltdown (which I felt the need to document on Snapchat to my best friends...you guys are the best!).

You see, my kids have been constantly fighting, I can't keep them separated, and my oldest has been deliberately disobeying and jumps on beds alllll dayyyyy longgggg. Combine that with having the kids home all summer long and an out-of-town husband and a disaster of a house and stress on top of stress on top of stress (I'm trying to keep this short and sweet here)...I was ready to lose my mind.

But. I did manage to do some laundry this morning, and I was carrying my clean bedding back into the master bedroom when I realized that I almost had everything picked up off of the floor in there.

That is a rare occurrence in our household, just being honest.

Our bedroom is like our dumping ground, the room that gets neglected the most. I always want it to be our sanctuary, where we can go to de-stress. Kinda hard to do when the room is buried in junk, so it is just this vicious cycle of trying to catch up, but still always falling behind.

So today, I thought, I have half an hour before naptime...I'll bet I can pick up the rest of this stuff and vacuum real quick before the kids need to sleep.

YOU GUYS.  I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I vacuumed our master.

I'm being serious.

I'm pretty sure that it's slightly possible that our master has not been vacuumed since we moved in.

We got here almost exactly 12 months ago.

Just let that sink in for a moment.

Yeah, I'm not proud of it, but that's the truth.

Y'all, I had to dump out the vacuum canister TWICE before I was done vacuuming that room.

It was that bad.

And our master isn't very big - it's a fairly small room that we have our king-sized bed, nightstands, a dresser, and a cedar chest crammed into. So as you can imagine, there's not very much floor space.

In my defense, we do have 2 cats that basically live in our master. They come out to pee, poop, and eat, and that's about it.

As I was vacuuming and feeling terrible about myself that it had seriously been a whole freaking YEAR since I vacuumed that room, I thought to myself, "I wonder what people would think if I confessed to this?!"

And that's when I knew.

That's when I knew exactly what my blog should be called now.

MOTHERSHIP CONFESSIONAL.

[cue dramatic music and clapping. tears optional.]

✤✤✤✤✤✤

Welcome to Mothership Confessional! I'm so glad you're here!! I'm sure you'll fit right in as I share about my life as a Stay-At-Home military spouse, raising 2 young kids as best as I can, and telling the REAL stories of motherhood that most of us experience, but we don't typically share. Motherhood is crazy, scary, and surprisingly lonely. I hope my stories can make you feel a little less alone and inspired to be yourself and be more confident with who you are. If you can't relate to my stories, well, at least they will give you another perspective besides your own and help you to understand why others feel the way that they do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Easy-Peasy Pumpkin Decorating

I sure haven't gotten around to doing much decorating for the Fall. I'm feeling sort of "Bah-humbug" about Halloween this year. I did buy some pumpkins.  And then I put them outside the garage door.  And that is about all the effort I have put forth so far.  Last year I was inspired to do some creative chevron painting on my pumpkins and use decorative ribbons. For whatever reason, this year I've been so lazy and wanted something with less effort required.  Is that bad of me?! I got my act together today and put some spider web on my now dead bushes in the front of the house (yeah I managed to kill those - I did not consider how much the dirt would settle and the top two inches of the roots became exposed. Lesson learned!). I also put some up on the brick wall by the garage. That stuff sticks perfectly to the texture of the brick!  Then I put my pumpkins by the door. I had a few pairs of black textured tights, so I put one leg of

The Tears Won't Stop

I can't sleep, guys. Valentine's Day is coming up soon. And tonight, the tears started, and they just wouldn't stop. 2008 was truly an unbearable year. A lot of you know my story and the connection here, but many of you don't. I don't think that I've shared about the whole year, all together. I've been told by a few very supportive friends that my story could basically be a Nicholas Sparks movie; I think the ending is still being written. So, I'll do my best to get it all in writing, in one place. To start off, you'll need a little background information. It's mid-2007, and I am about to head off for my senior year of college, and my boyfriend (now husband) was about to embark on his first tour of duty overseas as a Military Police Reservist. My mom was 1 year into her cancer diagnosis, and was experiencing back pain, which she attributed to working in the yard so much that summer. After the New Year, Chris was about halfway t

That's My Story and I'm Sticking To It

Pinterest is amazing . Have you heard of it? I hope so, because if not, you are truly missing out. It has almost become the new "Google" for some (me). I am more likely to hop on Pinterest to search for a yummy recipe than search on Google. I would like to point out, however, that Google has a recipe tab that you can click on, and then on the left side of the screen you can checkmark the boxes to indicate if you want that ingredient to be present in your recipe. Kinda handy if you are looking for a recipe and you can only remember a few ingredients in it. Anyway, browsing Pinterest has led me to great ideas, recipes, products, and left me drooling over dream homes and a wardrobe to die for. But recently, as Pinterest has become more popular, I have noticed some really dumb links. I am not typically one to point out stuff like this, but some of these things just crack me up! I'm not sure I get this. This image is suggesting that this is an acceptable way to re-sea